Wie es wirklich ist, für einen Ultrarun (50km) zu trainieren - Woche 4
Eine Risikoquelle gibt es, die ich jedoch nicht ausschalten kann: kranke (kleine) Menschen in meiner Nähe. Ich kann nur hoffen, dass wir alle nach der sehr langen Krankheitswelle Anfang des Jahres, von einer weiteren Krankheitswelle in nächster Zeit verschont bleiben.
Bis dahin: Gut essen und gut schlafen.
Happy Running!
-----------------------------------------
Some of you already know this, others will find out now:
I am training for a 50 km run. This is no longer called a marathon, but an ultra run. It often takes place in hiking regions and usually involves a lot of elevation gain. Fortunately, I am in Schleswig-Holstein and do not plan to participate in a competition; I just want to be able to run 50 km. I just love the idea of being able to run “all day.” I want to be able to do that. As an end in itself.
It's still Sunday morning and I'm about to set off on a 24 km run. Three hours of running. Of course, my legs and feet will have work to do, but a huge part of the job is also staying stable. Mentally stable, that is.
Last week, it looked like this:
Today (Thursday, May 1), I asked myself: Am I crazy? What's the point of wanting to run 50 km?
And everything circles back to the entry Easter vacation 2025 - Entry 1 - Nonsense with gravy.
Short summary: The body is stronger than the mind.
Today, the mind is very weak and crunches loudly, like a bark beetle in the forest.
What helps: Reminding myself why I'm doing this: I wanted to be able to run 50 km. People can do it, I'm a person, so I can do it too.
Dark clouds are passing through my brain.
How much space do I give them? - That's the mental work.
A 19 km run was on the agenda. At km 9, my legs were already hurting, and at some point I caught myself getting caught up in constantly observing the pain in my thighs.
Stop! Focus on the outside!
Look at trees, look at plants, look at grass. Direct your attention to something else, to something beautiful.
A leaf blower against the clouds in my brain.
When things start to get a little gray, switch it on immediately!
After a while, the pain changed and it even seemed to me as if it had gone away again.
Mental note: Pain changes over time.
What else helps: Classify it: How high is the pain on a scale of 1-10? It was a 2-3. So not bad.
What else helps: “I've done the last 5 km, I can do the next 5 km too.”
What else helps: What level of Paincave would Courtney be at now? Maybe 1 out of 10.
What else helps: Focus on breathing and the rest: I'm breathing calmly and relaxed, my feet feel good, my calves too, and everything above my hips as well. I'm fine.
What else helps: *Robot Robot Robot* – A saying from Courtney.
What else helps: *We soldier on.* I don't like this soldier comparison, but the phrase really helped me to keep running stoically.
I just came across the mantra: *I am fine, this is fine.*
And it helps to sing songs in my head. Something from Lady Gaga's new album “Mayhem” was there.
A nasty brain cloud appeared today, on Sunday: “What? You ran 24km today? Nice. Look what xy can do. You can't do that, you're lame.” Fuck you brain. *Leaf blower on full blast*
By the way: I won't even begin to describe the mental work it took for me to even dare to tackle such a project.
For an ultra run, I not only train my legs and my brain, but I also have to train my stomach: What can I eat and how much do I need to get through the run comfortably. Yes, comfortably! I mean that seriously! It makes no sense to be hungry; calories are fuel.
Fueling—eating while running—worked very well during the 19 km run and today's 24 km run. Courtney says she gets by on 200 calories per hour—I just adopted that guideline. So I plan on half a large Sven Jack bar (64.5 g) and a few Skittles per hour. On Thursday, I also had a Maurten Drink mix 160 (160 calories) with me, which I drank in the second hour. It felt strange in my stomach at first because it turns into a gel when it reacts with stomach acid, but it didn't bother me. I also had three Saltstick chewable tablets.
I didn't need them today because I had 600 ml of Tailwind Endurance Fuel (a drink mix that Courtney also uses) with me. It has 300 calories and electrolytes, which the Saltstick chewable tablets used to provide. After 17 km, I stopped at McDonald's and bought a small portion of fries, and it worked out that I could eat them while running. Three fries were lost.
But I'm not crazy, and I actually take a lot more with me. Today, I brought back a whole Sven Jack and lots of Skittles. Better to have too much than not enough. I also had way too much water with me, which I could optimize.
So on Thursday, after successfully completing 19 km, I sat on the couch with pain in my legs and my head started to buzz: “Your legs hurt quite a bit, do you really think you can do more? Isn't 50 km a bit ambitious?”
*Leaf blower on*
*Leaf blower on* Today is week 3. Pain is okay after 19 km. *Leaf blower off*
And what happened today? Virtually pain-free until km 20, then Paincave Level 1/10. I believe my legs understood the assignment. It was fun.
There is one source of risk that I cannot eliminate: sick (little) people around me. I can only hope that after the very long wave of illness at the beginning of the year, we will be spared another wave of illness in the near future.
Until then: eat well and sleep well.
Happy running!
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)



Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen